Tag: Cultural InsensitivityView All Tags
Didgeridon't / Nicole Kidman / Australia The Movie / Movie Set Travel / Cultural Insensitivity / → All Tags
The Nicole Kidman-Hugh Jackman epic "Australia" has now been out in theaters for three weekends, and it's still nowhere near a hit. But the Baz Luhrmann-directed mega-movie was dealt another potential blow this weekend, when a German press appearance caused Aboriginal groups to denounce Kidman for playing the didgeridoo.
There are no didgeridoos in "Australia," but in some tribes, the classic Aussie instrument is verboten for women to play. After Kidman, who lest we forget is Australian, tried to play the wind instrument, she was blasted by critics who said she should've known better and that the stunt will make her infertile for life. (Interestingly, that's also her character's burden in the movie; later, she [SPOILER!] takes a young Aboriginal boy under her wing and helps him evade capture by local police, who would send him away to a mission school.)
Come to think of it, we tried playing one of these in 2000, which would explain some of the last eight years. Sorry, America.
· Nicole Kidman upsets Aborigines [Screen Weekly]
· What To Say When Your Movie Flops, Australia Edition [Gawker]
· Cameron Diaz Travel Tip: Watch Your Messenger Bag [Jaunted]
· Australia Movie Inspired By Actual Australia [Jaunted]
· More Movie Set Travel: Australia's Going To Bombard You [Jaunted]