Alas, hope is not lost for the Chicago Spire. Developers have secured investors to pay off the $135 million in debt and take the matter to the City of Chicago for further approval towards building the 1,200-condo spire. A reorganization plan needs to be in place by the end of summer 2014 for the Streeterville building to grow into the sky.
A few stats on the building, once it's completed:
· 2,000' tall
· Would stand to be the 4th tallest building in the world (based on stats on date of publication)
· It would surpass CN Tower to be the largest free-standing structure in the Western Hemisphere
· 150 floors made up of office and residential space
· The corkscrew design mimics Native American smokestacks and lends to its internal strength
· A sustainable building that uses river water for cooling, recycles rainwater, features ornithologically-sensitive glass to protect migratory birds and monitors outdoor air delivery.