· The first bikes and bike rental stations will be available in July in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
· Eventually the program will consist of 10,000 bikes at 600 locations in the five boroughs.
· The exclusive payment sponsor is Mastercard, which already means we won't be able to use them (and we're not signing up for a Mastercard just for this).
· The locations of the solar-powered, wireless docking stations for the bikes haven't been released, but will be soon.
· The annual membership will be $95, with graduated pricing depending on length of use (not on distance traveled).
· Usage under 30 minutes is free.
· All other pricing under time tiers is here.
· Each bike is equipped with a bell and reflectors. It's BYO helmet and lock, however (each lost bike will cost you $1,000).
All of that sounds well and good with one major exception: the front baskets will not be large enough to hold anything like a six-pack of beer (kudos to Miami's DecoBike for thinking of that. Wine bottles? We'll just have to see...
[Photo: CitiBike on Facebook]