Eschewing all the tech specs, we'll just tell you what's cool about the new terminal you need to know:
· It's going to have self boarding gates and self tagging baggage drop stations. YES. This means more reliance on yourself versus interactions with overwhelmed airport staff. We've used self-boarding gates at German airports before, and not only is boarding expedited, but it seriously cuts down on those annoying cloggy lines that happen when gate agents call rows.
· WiFi in the terminal and on the ramp. Sweeeeet. No news on whether or not it'll be free, but fingers crossed.
· The duty-free shop will be 10,000 square feet. Race you to the liquor!
· Dining in the terminal includes Pei Wei Asian Diner, Vegas Chophouse, Starbucks, a Carls Jr. andour potential favoriteDewar's Clubhouse.
· It will host art exhibitions and even a possible roadway marathon around the terminal.
June 27 is the first day, but just for international flights. Domestic airlines will sniff the new airport smell with transitions in July and August. Curious if you'll be walking down a brand new jetbridge? These are the airlines flying out of the new Terminal 3: AeroMexico, Air Berlin, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, ArkeFly, British Airways, Condor, Copa, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Korean Air, Philippine Airlines, Sun Country, Sunwing Thomas Cook, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, VivaAerobus, Volaris, WestJet, and XL Airways.
Now check out this time-lapse video of the construction and start plotting a Vegas weekend during the height of the summer. See you there?
[Photo: Las Vegas McCarran Airport]