Naturally, when Virgin America has any kind of news, there's some kind of celebration that benefits you, the next potential passenger. The beginning of the Portland routes come just after the airline jumps for joy over the delivery of their 50th Airbus A320 airplane, so they want you to name it...something Portland-y, please.
Here's the deal on the Airbus-naming contest:
· Come up with a Portland-themed name that's 30 characters or under
· Go here and fill in your chosen name, plus your personal details, to enter the contest.
· Do it by 4:59pm PDT on March 18
· If you make it in the top 5 names, Virgin America employees will vote for the winner
· Win, and you get a roundtrip flight on one of the new Portland routes for you and a plus one.
If you grab one of the $99 fares to Portland on Virgin, just remember our big tip about flying into PDX: go for the window seat.
Now let the Portlandia sketch brainstorming begin! The particular fun offerings of Virgin America combined with the hipster particulars of the PDX airport (bike assembly stations! independent coffee roasters!) are just screaming for a quickie skit on the hit IFC comedy show.
[Photo: Nicholas Gang for Jaunted]