Belly Up For A Root Beer Barrel Shot At Key West's Green Parrot Bar
While the summer is at its peak and you're no doubt tired of chugging bottled water under the sun at tourist sites, we're going to hit some of the world's best watering holes and down their famous summer cocktails. Bottoms up!
When one thinks of an evening spent in Key West, sipping some of the more alcoholic local flavors, drinks like Key Lime Martinis or the Key West Cooler come to mind, but at local favorite Green Parrot Bar, the regulars tipple something decidedly more down-home.
For one of the cheap, but tasty Root Beer Barrel Shots at the Green Parrot, you must first bypass all of the tourist-trap bars along Duval Street. The Green Parrot isn't faronly a couple block away on Whitehead Streetbut it's divey, Florida Keys laid-back ambience is a world away. Sure you can get key lime drinks here as well, but if you've been scarfing key lime pie all day anyways, we'd recommend the Root Beer Barrel.
Before charging up to the bar and ordering one of these babies, you better get familiar with how a Beer Barrel Shot works, and luckily we've had enough of its cousins, the Depth Charge and Irish Car Bomb, to know:
· Fill a shot glass with root beer-flavored schnapps
· Place that full shot glass within a larger beer glass, cup and all
· fill the surrounding larger glass with beer, as far as the rim of the shot glass inside
· Cover the beer glass with your hand and give the glass a good smack onto the bar
· Chug it down. The smack mixes the beer and schnapps and makes a perfectly refreshing fizz.
· Green Parrot Bar [Official Site]
· Weekend Getaway: Key West [Miami.com]
· Beer Travel Coverage [Jaunted]
[Video still: eHow]