· Bus to Midtown: Running from many Midtown locations direct to JFK, the New York Airport Service bus departs from every terminal in the public transportation bay (down with the city buses and taxis). Opting for this means not having to worry about subway transfers or hauling your luggage up stairs, but still keeping it cheap.
Total cost: $15 per person, each-way
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes to Penn Station
· Shared Ride Van: While another of our favorite methods, opting for a Supershuttle can be a nightmare when trying to leave the airport (never once have they gotten our reservations right in this direction). Order a van to drop you off anywhere in Manhattan, but generally hotels are easiest for them to locate.
Total cost: $21 for the first person, $12 each for following passengers in your party
Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes (the van stops at other airline terminals to pick up and at other locations to drop off passengers)
· Good old yellow cab: Unless there's a huge queue at the taxi stand, this is the easiest way to go. You don't have to call and arrange a car or stare at subway maps, and you can sit back and enjoy the expressway scenery...so long as you're willing to pay.
Total cost: $45 to anywhere in Manhattan, plus tip
Total time: 1 hour, depending on traffic of course
· Towncar or Limo: There is possibly nothing more relieving than coming down into baggage claim to find your driver holding your name printed a card, and knowing that he is there to help you.
Total cost: Anywhere from $65 for something a step up from a taxi to $450 for a 20-person Hummer or Escalade limo.
Total time: 1 hour, depending on traffic and how long it takes for a Hummer limo to turn corners
Our own picture from the helicopter, of the view up the East River
· Helicopter: * OUT OF BUSINESS * This is the way to go if you can swing the cost. Especially if you arrive to JFK on a Delta flight, as the US Helicopter gate is in their terminal, you will save a ridiculous amount of time and fuss. We've had the pleasure of doing this before, and we can vouch for the awesomeness of arriving to Manhattan in a Sikorsky S76, setting down at the Wall Street helipad on the East River. You can also choose the route which lands on the Hudson River at Midtown West.
Total cost: $159 per person, each way. (Although they do have $99 specials every so often)
Total time: 8 minutes. That's right we said 8 flippin' minutes. Just remember that you've got to add a little extra time to take the van from the Delta Terminal to the chopper on the helipad. * OUT OF BUSINESS *
Come to think of it, we've taken all of these routes at some point in our travels, since we like to keep things interesting (the limo was not our idea, though). Hopefully now you too will be able to glide on into the city like you've been doing this for years.
· Why Arent' You Flying US Helicopter Yet? [Jaunted]
· First-Person Flight Reviews: US Helicopter Is Real-Life Google Earth [Jaunted]
· Airports Coverage [Jaunted]