After combing through up-to-date news reports on the incidents (because Flight 253 had two incidents over two days), we've discovered these to be the important facts:
· Northwest/Delta flight 253 landed safely at Detroit-Metro (DTW) airport at 11:53 am EST on 12/25, with 278 passengers in the Airbus 300.
· Approximately 20 minutes before landing at Detoit, the passenger in seat 19A, Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab, a 23-year-old Nigerian who attended the University College London for engineering, spent significant time in the lavatory and then returned to his seat, claiming stomach problems.
· Abdulmutallab paid cash for the one-way flight, had no luggage, and was already on a watch list for two years, from the US National Counterterrorism Center.
· He pulled the blanket over his head and lit a device, which caused a small fire that spread at his feet to the airline pillows on the floor. The fire was put out by passengers who acted quickly, specifically Jasper Schuringa, a Dutch man on his way to a vacation in Miami. Jasper helped flight crew restrain Abdulmutallab, who has third degree burns, and move him the front row for the plane's landing.
· The explosive device on Abdulmutallab was a rigged-up, six-inch packet of high explosives called PETN, along with a syringe. It was sewed into Abdulmutallab's underpants.
· The "Christmas Day terrorist," as Abdulmutallab is now being called, was taken to a Michigan hospital and is in custody. He claims al Qaeda connections and training in one of their Yemen camps.
· The same flightNorthwest 253 from Amsterdam to Detroitsaw another security scare yesterday when a Nigerian man locked himself in the bathroom for an hour, also claiming stomach problems. This man was also taken into custody, but found to be a legitimate businessman and released.
· TSA and DHS Statements on Northwest flight 253 [TSA]
· Second incident aboard Northwest 253 from Amsterdam to Detroit [Huff Post]
· Fear and heroism about Northwest Airlines Flight 253 after attempted bombing [Wash Post]
· Breaking News [Jaunted]