Honolulu, Hawaii: A pair of Waikiki surfers were suspended for removing jellyfish warning signs from the stretch of beach where they were giving surf lessons. As the wave of over 2,000 box jellyfish approached, they disobeyed lifeguard directions to leave the signs alone and have been banned from teaching on the beach for the remainder of the summer. Bogus!
St. Julian's, Malta: Proving that jellyfish know not fame nor catchy pop writing, Duran Duran bassist John Taylor was stung by a jellyfish off the coast of this island south of Sicily, which luckily only "slightly marred" a group outing after their Red Carpet Massacre European Tour.
Other places hard hit this week: Long Beach, New York, Malaga, Spain and Batu Ferringhi Beach, Malaysia, where one lucky tourist discovered that Coca-Cola can relieve a jellyfish's sting. If there's no Coke around, the "Friends" episode "The One with the Jellyfish" reminds us that you can always pee on the wound: Your choice!
On the other hand, in Lebanon, sea turtles and overfishing have collaborated to deplete the eastern Mediterranean's population of jellyfish. Now we know where to send them!
Our Jellyfish Invasion Map helps you track this summer's trendiest menace!
· Stinging Tentacles Offer Hint of Oceans' Decline [NYT]
· Beachboys Remove Jellyfish Warning Signs [KITV]
· Jellyfish Stings and How to Soothe Them [Travelpod]
· Maltese Bread and Jellyfish Leave Their Mark [Duran Duran]
· Jellyfish Scarcity Threatens Marine Food Chain [The Daily Star]
· Bikini Travel: Bar Refaeli Braves Killer Jellyfish in France [Jaunted]
· Global Beach Panic: Jellyfish Will Kill Us All [Jaunted]