· Katie Meadowcroft, a student at Loyola College,was named 2007 Miss Preakness by the Maryland Jockey Club. The 19-year-old biology major will represent Pimlico at all of the Preakness Celebration activities, including the Preakness Parade and the post position draw (shown above).
· At 6 p.m. tonight, the Crawdaddies will open for Buckwheat Zydeco at Lancaster Street and South Central Avenue in Harbor East. The event, called "Twas the Night Before Preakness," is free. Fireworks to follow the show at about 9:15 p.m.
· Tomorrow, the Preakness parade starts at 11 a.m. at Howard and Conway streets, heads north to Pratt Street then goes east to Market Place. Military honor guards, floats, and marching bands join ice skater and Wheaties box legend Dorothy Hamill, who won a gold medal at the 1976 Olympics, will be the grand marshal.
· The infield and facility gates open at 8 a.m., and will be filled with frat boys by 8:02 a.m., for the 132nd Preakness Stakes. The first race is at 10:30 a.m. You can get tickets here.
· The race is referred to as "The Run for the Black-Eyed Susans" because a horseshoe of black-eyed susans, the state flower of Maryland, is traditionally placed around the winner's neck. Either that or because lost of people drink these on race day.
Going to the Preakness? In Baltimore this weekend? Leave your race weekend tips in the comments section.
Jaunted's Unsolicited Preakness Pick: Street Sense
· Pimlico [Official Site]